Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cat-erpillar and Mushroom Man.

This is my current favourite. Started with the
Mushroom Man, then cat and Faerie. Just like the flow
of it. I'm building up a backlog of pages to ink.

Thanks for visiting.


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Poe & Umbrella.

I have started taking 11"X17" sheets of paper with me to work.
I draw in transit ,and on coffee breaks and lunch. I can actually
get a lot done in that time.
Inking is another thing altogether,
I have to really concentrate on the line work for that.
Not something I want to do on the bus.

The pencils are pretty loose, enough to get the energy
and ideas down.

A lot of times, I just lay the shapes down
and see what comes out on the paper.
Almost like magic, I add everything, little by
little, developing like a Polaroid picture...
except its all done in pencil, then ink.

Thanks for visiting.


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Draw Calgary.

Pencils on a new one. still moving some of the elements
around and playing with scale. This is the second version.
I've always liked drawing the Calgary Tower,
a city landmark, a constant on the skyline.

Thanks for visiting.


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Serpent Fire: Stage 3 Inks (WIP)

This is the inks over loose pencil lines. Much of the finishes
are dictated by the ink and brush. I go with the flow,
let it bloom and grow, line by line. I use very few
touch ups to clean the lines (with gouache or opaque white).

Earlier versions of colouring pages were done with
a technical pen, fixed width. The brush lines offer more
volume, variations in the line.

I had to stop close to the bottom...normally I would
finish a page at one sitting. I will finish this today.

Thanks for visiting.

Finished inks,combination of Kuretake brush pen
and Windsor Newton. More control over the W.N,
but takes a little longer, having to dip into the ink and
longer drying time.

(9:26 PM.)

Friday, June 24, 2011

Serpent Fire: Stage 2.

I worked on top of the original CCEE sketch,
adding and taking away some of the elements.
Inking stage to follow, more refinements to the line work,
spontaneous development.



Thursday, June 23, 2011

Serpent Fire.

This was the last image I was working on at CCEE.
A continuation of the colouring book project, the pages
were popular at my table...sold them all as well as the
collected book. I'll be working on new designs.


Monday, June 20, 2011

Wishes and Dreams CCEE 2011.

This was my contribution to the 2011 CCEE
Art Book. I think I signed more books than last year.
Fun to and love to share the work.

The original inked page went up for auction to benefit
Make a Wish Foundation. I hope it has found a good home,
with someone who really appreciates the work I've done.

Thanks for stopping by and actually visiting me.
Awesome to see so many good friends I've made
in this creative community.


Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Artist Block Party.

Artist Block Party represents artists (mostly) from Calgary and Edmonton.
We have come together for a project called ILLUSTRATED CLASSICS,
collecting work inspired by literary classics. We are comic book artists, illustrators,
concept and game designers, looking to share the work we love to do.

Please come visit us at Artist Alley at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo 2011,
to see and talk about our work .

Thank you.


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sea Salt Black Bird.

With a very wet brush, blue and black pigment
was applied on the board. Coarse sea salt was sprinkled
on the wet surface, creating a lighting effect as it dried.
It was a "big black shape" before it transformed
into the bird. Black, white and brown conte crayons
added accents. Finished with a pencil for fine lines,
then scanned and a little more work on Photoshop.

A starting point for more experimentation.

Thanks for looking.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pancake Fun.

We are stuck inside on a rainy day.
I made pancakes and got a little creative.
Ghost Pancakes.

Hellboy pancake.

A little bit of fun with the kids.

One week away from CCEE, gotta get more stuff ready.


Saturday, June 04, 2011

Goblin Market Process

Preliminary sketches were done. Elements moved around.
After settling on layout, tighter lines were done
then printed in blue line on 11" X 17" comic board.

Inking, keeping it loose and spontaneous.
Colours took the longest, since I can be overly
picky about choices, leading to many retouches.
I am happy with the results.

Thanks for visiting.